It seems that each stage of writing brings its own challenges for a writer. Every writer will be challenged by different things anyways, so there’s no one handy checklist that applies to everyone. Still, I’m now far enough along in my writing that I have my own list. So, here it goes:
1. Being mid way through or close to finished one project, and another one is screaming for my attention already, tempting me to shift mid-project. DON’T DO IT!
2. Having a file of story ideas ready to go, and needing to finish my current projects first
3. Having personal stories that I work on outside my professional writing time, and sometimes those stories want to steal my focus. DON’T LET THEM!
4. Sitting down to write, getting my first hundred or so words down, and then needing the bathroom. Seriously?
5. There’s always that one family member that interrupts writing time, and they never understand how disruptive it is. Especially frustrating when it’s not anything important!
6. Having to stop and make a sandwich with protein rich foods during my tea break, so I can make it through my second writing session.
7. Being tempted to check my email during my sandwich break. DON’T DO IT. Writing time is the priority!
8. My career as a writer isn’t real to me yet, despite having now been working at it for a couple of months, and having two projects well underway. I still wonder what I’m doing and how I’ll ever manage this...
9. Being at the Editing stage of the first book already, and still needing to research the actual publishing process and make decisions...
What are your writing challenges?
I’ve been writing stories for myself for years. Now, I’m a published author. No genre is off limits, though I have some favorites.